Tuesday, January 24, 2012

All that glitters isn't gold

The Merchant of venice is in my opinion Shakespeare's finest. Throughout the play one can find many deep themes and Ideas. One I found interesting was the father child relationship. 
EX.
Portia-Father
Jessica-Shylock
Launcelot Gobbo-Older Gobbo


Portia, though her father is dead, keeps her promise and follows her fathers extreme wishes regarding her marriage. She seems to have respect and love for him as well as trust in his decisions.


Jessica on the other hand is selfish and uncaring towards her father. She complains about Shylock and admits her hatred of him without actually giving reason then steals from him and proclaims herself a christian thereby cutting of her heritage and ties from Shylock. The only time we actually see them together in the play he seems to be a normal caring(overprotective father)which is why we sympathize with him when he learns jessica sold his precious ring given to him by who we assume is her mother.


As for the relationship of Launcelot and his father, though comedic there is clearly a lack of respect toward his father in the scene of their reunion. 


I found that in the case of Portia and Jessica the type of relationship they have with their fathers is congruent with their own personal character. Lets be honest, If my father wrote in his will a extreme request like Portia's did I probably wouldn't follow it. Does that make me a bad person? No. But Portia does keep her promise and I think this is because of her character. She is obviously intelligent and good, as we see in the trial, but she has a edgy side what with the trick she plays on her husband and cross-dressing. Over all she is a good person. 


On the flip side I would obviously never steal from my parents or pawn my fathers most sentimental/prized possession but I could easily see my self defying my parent (maybe not eloping) but moving away from home and starting my own life is kind of a similar thing. This also doesn't make me a bad person. With Jessica I feel that while eloping didn't taint her character for me her thievery and selfishness did. I feel like she is a immature character and she reminds me of Juliet in Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet. Both are young ignorant and a bit selfish. 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your character analysis! I'm linking it from my post today... hope that's alright :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really agree with the Jessica and Juliet analogy. Both are immature and rash.
    However, Shakespeare could be showing the extremes of what a girl will do when she is pitted up against the wall. Hey, a crush is a crush right? Some people do crazy things, and it makes for a good story.

    ReplyDelete