Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Tempest

Finished the tempest! Though I've read it before, this time I did more research on the intended themes of the play(btw cool). Imperialism was the big one of course. There is a scene where Trinculo and Stephano meet Caliban and he thinks Stephano to be a god because he gives him alcohol. I remember learning in a history class that native americans and other cultures influenced by imperialism that didn't have previous exposure to alcohol were more prone to addiction. Reading this scene I felt like it was alluding to it.


Act 2 sc. 2 The Tempest


Stephano " ...He shall taste of my bottle. If he have never drunk wine afore, it will go near to remove his fits. If I can recover him and keep him tame, I will not take too much for him. He shall pay for him that hath him, and that soundly."


" Come on your ways. Open your mouth. Here is that which will give language to you, cat. Open your mouth. This will shake your shaking, I can tell you and that soundly (Caliban Drinks.)......"


I think the line where Stephano says to Caliban "Here is that which will give language to you, cat." is very interesting when compared with Act 1 sc. 2 where Caliban says "You taught me language,and my profit on't is I know how to curse...." In Act 1 sc. 2 I believe Caliban is saying teaching me you ways (language) has taught me to be corrupt and profited me nothing. If you use this idea for the line in Act 2 sc. 2 Stephano is basically saying he'll woo Caliban (representative of natives) and tame him to be what he needs or wants.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely think there is an overall speculation in the play on whether or not colonization is a good thing or a bad thing, forcing people to look at both sides of the issue. After all, with European settlers and government came European cultures and expectations. Many cultures were permanently affected by the changes.

    ReplyDelete