Monday, January 9, 2012

As I start subjecting myself to the works of Shakespeare I think I want to really focus on the historical background, pop culture, and themes.  These things are really what makes Shakespeare's plays so good.


Also It was recommended to me to read a synopsis of plays I haven't read or seen performed. I totally agree with this because it allows you to get outside of the plot and look for jokes and allusions to pop culture which are found throughout the plays. 


I've recently started reading The Tempest. Its my second time reading it but its one of my favorites. Im recognizing more of the themes (Imperialism etc.) in the story. I talked with my roommate about the allusions of imperialism found in the end of act two. For example: in the scene between Caliban, Miranda, and Prospero Caliban talks about when Miranda and Prospero first came to the island he showed them how to survive and prosper then they turned on him etc.  Caliban then says 
    "You taught me language, and my profit on't 
     Is I know how to curse. The red plague rid
     you for learning me your language"


My roommate and me were talking about how true it was that the only thing natives learned from imperialism was how to be currupt like western civilization.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, so true. I think Caliban is also saying something like, "don't blame me if I am a base animal and am somehow uncivilized, when that is how you treat me, and therefore is all I know." It is a perfect example of how England used and treated the people in the places that they conquered to expand their empire.

    ReplyDelete