Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Casting the Merchant of Venice

Its hard not picture scenes when reading a Shakespeare play as they are meant to be viewed not strictly read. So I thought It would be fun to cast the play for my own pleasure and here are the results!






Portia: Is beautiful and intelligent. She is however a little naive. For example in the court room scene she explains mercy to shylock and how its what a christian would do. Though she bestows it on Shylock her self when Antonio grants Shylock "mercy" he's really the only one benefitting. She has high regards for christian mercy but seems oblivious to other christians lack of it. because of this I casted her as: Samaire Armstrong. I saw her on an episode of mentalist where she played a strong intelligent charachter but she's better known for her roles in romantic comedy/teen films where she plays the role of a naive but intelligent women. 


Bassanio: Is obviously a irresponsible partier as we see in the beginning of the play when he admits the loss of his estate do to his elaborate lifestyle. I feel like he becomes a better friend to Antonio and grow up a little through his pursuit of Portia affections. In the end he chooses the right casket which says a lot for his character. I casted Arron Johnson as Bassanio because he always seems to play the edgy rich arrogant kid. However In a few films i've seen him play a romantic interest and a "coming of age" youth. Because of these roles I could easily see him acting the part of Bassanio. 


Antonio: Loyal Friend and behind the scenes guy is how I would describe Antonio. However I would also say he has a bullying side to him. Several times throughout the play we here of past acts committed against Shylock but its not until the court room scene, where he basically ruins Shylock, do we see upfront the ruthless side of The  Merchant of Venice. I thought Teddy Sears would be perfect for the Role because he usually acts in dramas playing both good and bad guys. The way he plays both characters is similar with minute changes which is why I can see him playing the  two-sided character of Antonio.


Jessica: Loves-sick rebellious daughter is the first impression I get of Jessica. But the pawning of her fathers ring make her character as questionable as antonio. Her Soul is often debated in the play for religious reasons but I take it as a symbol of her undecided character (not good but not bad) which hasn't in her youth been solidified. Emily Browning is the actress I would cast as Jessica. Her roles in Series of Unfortunate events and Univited  had similar traits to the character of Jessica. In Emily's role as violet she was Good, intelligent and independent. The character Anna from Univited is rebellious, desperate, and in the end not a moral person. As an actress I like the way Emily develops her characters and thats why I picked her to be Jessica.


Lorenzo: is basically just the object of Jessica's affection but I decided to cast him for fun anyways! And for the romancing heart throb I picked :  Liam Hemsworth because he's easy going and can play a good supporting role.

No comments:

Post a Comment